Henriques in, Maxwell out of Australia’s ODI squad for Sri Lanka
SYDNEY: Selectors left out all-rounder Glenn Maxwell and included Moises Henriques and Shaun Marsh in their squad named Sunday for the one-day international series in Sri Lanka.
Bowling all-rounder Henriques and batsman Marsh were among two changes from the 16-man squad that toured the West Indies last month.
Marsh, who returns to the squad following the birth of his first child, joins his brother Mitchell in the 15-man national ODI squad.
Maxwell, batsman Travis Head and fast bowler Scott Boland, who all toured the West Indies, missed out on selection.
“We know Glenn can be a match-winner for Australia but his current form doesn’t warrant selection,” chief selector Rod Marsh said.
“He is averaging less than 10 runs in Australia’s last 10 one-day internationals, so the numbers speak for themselves.
“We’ve asked Glenn to go away and focus on consistent performances for his state side Victoria and Australia A to earn his way back into the Australian side.”
Henriques makes his return to the side after last playing for Australia against England in Hobart in January last year.
“Moises comes off some great form in the Indian Premier League and we think he is well-suited to these conditions,” Marsh said.
Australia will play five one-day-internationals against Sri Lanka, beginning on August 21 in Colombo.
Australia – Steve Smith (capt), David Warner, George Bailey, Nathan Coulter-Nile, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Moises Henriques, Usman Khawaja, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa.