Suspected match-fixer to be detained without trial
A Singaporean accused of leading the world’s largest football match-fixing syndicate will be detained without trial under a special law following his rearrest earlier this week, the interior ministry said Saturday.
Dan Tan, 51, will be held under a special law designed to keep suspected criminals under detention without having to charge them in court, the Ministry of Home Affairs said.
“The MHA confirmed that the Minister for Home Affairs has issued a detention order in respect of Dan Tan Seet Eng on 5 December 2015 for his involvement in global soccer match-fixing,” the statement said.
Tan had been held for more than two years under the same law following his arrest in September 2013 but the Court of Appeal, the country’s highest court, ordered his release on November 25, saying his detention had been “unlawful”.
The court added that that Tan’s alleged illegal activities also took place outside of Singapore and stated that he did not pose a danger to public safety in the city-state.
His release came under heavy criticism from football’s world governing body FIFA and analysts who said the move was a blow to efforts to eradicate corruption in the sport.
Police, however, rearrested Tan about a week after he was freed to investigate his “suspected involvement in criminal activities”.