The legendary Punter arrives
The Australian great and a proud baggy green wearer Ricky Ponting, who was born today, was known for his exquisite timing and elegant stroke play all over the park. During his entire career he was a force to reckon with and according to general consensus he is probably the best Australian batsman after the prolific Don Bradman.
Ricky Ponting led Australia to two World Cup triumphs in 2003 and 2007 after taking over captaincy duties in 2001-02. Although some would say that he had a well settled team when he took over the reins in test matches from Steve Waugh but despite this fact he had a great mind for a captain as he knew the art of efficiently utilizing the resources at his disposal and those World Cup triumphs along with tremendous test captaincy record is a glaring example of that.
He holds the record for most runs in test matches for Australia as well as in the ODI format as he amassed more than 13000 runs in both formats of the game. He also holds plenty of records for Australia and the following list is just a glimpse of his achievements.
- 4th highest all time average in test matches for Australia
- Most hundreds in test and one day matches for Australia
- Second on the list of all time leading run scorers in test matches
- Third on the list of all time leading run scorers in ODI matches
- Included ICC World test team for four consecutive years (2004,2005,2006,2007)
- ICC captain of the year in 2007
- ICC player of the year in 2006 and 2007
- Induced in Sports Australia hall of fame in 2015
- Named player of the decade in 2010.
The aforementioned accolades are enough to depict the class and skill set Ricky Ponting aka Punter possessed and his value to not just Australia but the whole cricketing family.