World T20: West Indies players threaten to strike

ARY Sports
By ARY Sports February 12, 2016 22:42

World T20: West Indies players threaten to strike

Port of Spain: Before the advent of WT20, the dispute between the West Indian Board and players has again arisen. Senior cricketers have threatened to go on strike if the financials offered for the mega- event are not increased.

According to details, T20 captain Darren Sammy has made it clear in the two letters written to the board that the financials offered are unacceptable to the players. We do want to represent West Indies but cannot accept a pay-cut which is nearly 80 percent less compared to last year WT20 tournament.

As per the financial terms offered this time, each player would earn $21000 this year, compared to $135,000 at the last year tournament. Similarly the prize money which used to be given in full to the players, a portion of it around 20 percent would now go to the board which is not correct. Darren Sammy also said that his team doesn’t consider Players Association as their representative and is not bound to stick to any agreement made by them.

On the other end the Board’s chief executive Michael Muirhead said any player who doesn’t accept the present contract till 14th February would not be considered and if the senior players are not willing to play, we’ll go ahead with substitutes as we can’t miss the mega-event.
Muirhead made it clear that there will be no change in the contract signed 9 months earlier with the players. Five of the present players were also present on the onset of this agreement and they had agreed to all the financial terms. It is therefore in the interest of the cricketers to accept the present contract as they will get share in the sponsorship along with other benefits.



ARY Sports
By ARY Sports February 12, 2016 22:42


Follow Us

  • YouTube


Which team will win the Test series between Pakistan and West Indies?


October 2016
« Sep