LAHORE: Pakistan spinner Saeed Ajmal Thursday raised hopes that he will pass a bowling action test after he was suspended last year, but ruled out any chance of featuring in next month’s World Cup.
The 37-year-old will travel to Chennai, India later Thursday and have a reassessment test on his bowling action in the International Cricket Council (ICC) accredited laboratory.
He was reported during the Galle Test against Sri Lanka in August last year and he was subsequently suspended from bowling a month later after a bio-mechanic analysis found his action illegal.
“I have worked really hard to overcome the flaws and I am hopeful that I will be cleared,” Ajmal told media.
“I am going to give test on five various deliveries and I am quite hopeful that I will return as spearhead of the team after getting clearance.”
After his suspension Ajmal did remedial work under former Pakistan great Saqlain Mushtaq and claimed to have cleared unofficial tests.
Ajmal ruled out any chance of featuring in the World Cup, to be played in Australia and New Zealand in February-March.
“I withdrew from the World Cup after I felt that I am not ready for it and if any player of the team gets injured even then I will not play,” said Ajmal.
Ajmal said he has developed some new deliveries.
“I have developed some new deliveries, like a carrom ball and seam-up delivery which I have mastered and will bowl them at international level,” said Ajmal.
Another Pakistani spinner Mohammad Hafeez will also undergo reassessment test in Brisbane on February 5.
Hafeez, part of Pakistan’s 15-man squad for the World Cup, was suspended over illegal action in November last year.
Pakistan selected him as batsman only, hoping he will clear the action test and could also bowl in the World Cup.
Eleven bowlers were reported for suspect bowling action under a ICC crackdown launched in June last year.