Australian former International Boxing Federation middleweight champion Sam Soliman said he hopes to take a step towards regaining the title with a fight against France’s Hassan N’Dam in November.
Soliman won the IBF title with a unanimous decision over German Felix Sturm in May 2014 but lost the crown to American Jermain Taylor that October.
The Australian, who will be 42 when the fight is held in Paris on November 21, said he was confident he had what it took to beat Cameroon-born N’Dam, Australian Associated Press reported.
“A win will give me the right to fight for the IBF middleweight No.1 spot which grants a mandatory title shot,” Soliman said, AAP reported.
“I’m 40-plus and my last fight has fuelled my hunger and focused me on what I need to do to become a two-time world champion.”
Soliman lost his last fight in June in a controversial points decision to Dominic Wade.
“I need to win this fight and win it well,” he said.
“I’m two fights away from having a chance to regain the world title I lost when I badly injured my knee fighting Jermain Taylor last year,” he said
But he admitted fighting N’Dam on his home turf would not be easy.
“N’Dam and myself have a lot in common. We are both world champions, we have both lost titles, we have fought quality fighters to get where we are and we both want that world championship belt back,” he said.
“This is a career defining fight for both of us.”