BARCELONA: Barcelona paraded Portuguese midfielder Andre Gomes at the Camp Nou on Wednesday after his 55-million-euro capture from Valencia on a five-year deal.
The 22-year-old, part of Portugal’s European Championship-winning side, has a release clause of 100 million euros ($110 mn, £84 mn) and will cost an initial 35 million euros, with 20 million in add-ons.
Gomes, who agreed the move last week, said he chose the Spanish champions because he felt it gave him the best chance to progress as a player.
“Every club has its own personality. The one that suits me the best is Barcelona,” the player said, adding that he had rebuffed other offers to move to other clubs.
Gomes made 77 appearances for Valencia in two seasons after joining from Portuguese side Benfica.
He was also believed to be a target of Barcelona’s bitter rivals Real Madrid.
Gomes is Barcelona’s fourth summer capture, after they re-signed Denis Suarez from Villarreal and snapped up defenders Samuel Umtiti from Lyon and Lucas Digne from PSG.