SAO PAULO: Football legend Pele, on the mend following prostate surgery, could be well enough to leave the hospital “in a couple of days,” a close advisor said Friday.
Pele remains in stable condition as he recovers from prostate surgery, doctors at the Brazilian hospital where he is being treated said late Thursday.
The 74-year-old soccer superstar underwent surgery Tuesday at Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo, the same facility that treated him last year for a severe urinary tract infection.
A close friend and advisor, Jose Fornos Rodrigues, told AFP that Pele appears to be recovering well following his surgery — a transurethral resection of the prostate, or TURP.
“Everything is going well with Pele; He is resting,” the aide said.
“It was a very simple procedure. He will be released within a couple of days.”
Media reports said the surgery was aimed at preventing a repeat of the urinary infection that sent Pele to the hospital last year.
The global sports icon has suffered a number of health crises in recent months.
He underwent surgery for kidney stones in November, then came down with an infection that required treatment in a hospital intensive care unit for several days.
His one remaining kidney — the other was removed following a rib injury during his playing days — stopped working and had to be treated with dialysis.
The only player to win three World Cup titles, Pele was named Athlete of the Century by the International Olympic Committee in 1999.
The athlete, whose real name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento, is widely regarded as the greatest football player of all time. -AFP