Former England batsman Carberry diagnosed with cancer

0
58

LONDON: Former England batsman Michael Carberry has been diagnosed with cancer, his county side Hampshire announced on Thursday.

The 35-year-old, who played the last of his six Tests in 2014, consulted a specialist on Tuesday after sitting out this week’s county championship game against Warwickshire because he was feeling unwell.

“Following recent reports about his health and now that he has spoken fully to his family, friends and team-mates, Hampshire Cricket can confirm that after a brief period of feeling unwell, a specialist has determined that Michael Carberry has a tumour that is cancerous,” read a statement from Hampshire.

“Further tests will be undertaken before the relevant treatment commences.”

Carberry previously suffered from ill health in November 2010 when he had blood clots on one of his lungs for which he is still taking medication.

Rod Bransgrove, the Hampshire chairman, said the club would give Carberry — who also played six one day internationals — all the support possible to ensure he overcame illness like he did the previous time.

“Michael has been part of the Hampshire Cricket family for 10 years and on behalf of everyone at and associated with the club, I would like to send him and his family our very best wishes at this very difficult time,” he said.

“Carbs has taken on and beaten serious illness before and we will be doing all we can to make sure he does the same again this time.”

Carberry, who had a top score of 60 in Tests and 63 not out in ODIs, last played for Hampshire in a Twenty20 game last Friday.

Please follow and like us:
20

Comments

comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your name here
Please enter your comment!