Christchurch: New Zealand public health officials have cleared almost the entire Pakistan cricket squad to leave their managed isolation facilities later on Tuesday.
New Zealand Cricket had said on Monday that the squad, which has been tested for COVID-19 five times since arriving two weeks ago, was scheduled to leave isolation on Tuesday pending final approval from local health officials.
“After extensive testing and completion of their time in managed isolation in Christchurch, the Canterbury DHB medical officer of health is satisfied these people pose a very low risk to the community,” the Health Ministry said in a statement.
— ARY Sports (@ARYSports_Web) December 8, 2020
One unidentified member of the 53-strong squad, however, would stay in the facility after he tested positive on day six of their mandatory 14-day isolation.
One member of the squad also repeatedly tested negative in isolation but had been in quarantine in Auckland after showing signs of infection when they arrived.
Six tested positive for COVID-19 upon arrival while four others were identified as positive during their isolation, although those cases were considered “historical”, the Ministry said.
The squad are scheduled to fly to Queenstown later on Tuesday for an intra-squad game before the first of three T20I matches on December 18. The team will then play a two-test series from December 26.