Former South African flamboyant batsman AB De Villiers speaks out at allegations against him for taking retirement back during World Cup 2019.
De Villiers hit headlines for a while during the mega event after some news’ made rounds on social media regarding one of the world’s best batsmen of all time.
The news’ claimed that the right-handed batsman had approached to Cricket South Africa (CSA) for taking his retirement back following South Africa’s poor run in the biggest multi-nation cricket tournament in England.
De Villiers took to Twitter to reply to all the claims against him. He said that he didn’t want to disturb Africa’s World Cup campaign hence he took so much time to reply on the issue.
— AB de Villiers (@ABdeVilliers17) July 12, 2019
“Now the Proteas’ World Cup campaign is over, and the team cannot be distracted, I would like to respond to unjustified criticism of me during the tournament,” he wrote in a detailed reply.
The former Test cricketer stated that he never called CSA for such things. “I wanted to spend quality time with my family and two younger sons. During the weeks and months followed, there was no formal contact between me and CSA or Proteas,” he added.
He recalled the conversation between him and his good friend Faf Du Plessis, who captained the Proteas in the biggest cricket event, just two days before the World Cup squad was announced.
“I contacted him for a chat. I had been in decent form during the Indian Premier League (IPL) and casually repeated what I had said when asked a year earlier, that I was available if required. I made no demands at all,” he highlighted.
It is pertinent to mention here that De Villiers gets into hot water after South Africa lost to India. The evening after the match revealed that De Villiers has asked CSA to take his retirement back which was refused by the board immediately.
Known for his splendid batting and fielding skills, De Villiers took retirement in 2018 with an immediate effect which put the entire cricket fraternity in surprise.