ICC announces awards of decade, only two Pakistanis nominated

0
4008

Karachi: The International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced awards of the decade this time around instead of regular yearly awards.

60 nominations have been named across ten men’s and women’s categories. ICC has decided to include fans’ voting to pick these winners. The fan vote will make up 10% of the voting, while votes from an expert panel will make up the remaining 90%. The voting opens on Wednesday 25th November and closes on Wednesday 16th December.

Fans will provide 100% of the vote for the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award of the Decade, from a list of the past winners since 2011.

The individuals are shortlisted by an Awards Nominations Committee, based on performances during the period 1st January 2011 to 7th October 2020.

The nominees for each of the categories have been determined according to on-field performances and overall achievements for at least five years during the period.

From Pakistan, only Misbah-ul-Haq and Yasir Shah have been nominated. Misbah is nominated for the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award of the Decade while Yasir Shah is nominated for Men’s Test Player of the Decade.

The 46-year-old Misbah claimed the spirit of the year award in 2016. He was adjudged the winner for inspiring his side to play the game in its true spirit, at the same time lifting the Pakistan cricket team from number four to number one on the ICC Test team rankings

The 34-year-old Yasir is the second joint-fastest to take 100 wickets while he is the fastest to take 200 wickets in Test cricket. He is taken 224 wickets until now in 42 matches played

Here is the complete list of players nominated in various categories.

ICC Men’s Player of the Decade

Virat Kohli (India), Kane Williamson (New Zealand), Joe Root (England), Steve Smith (Australia), AB de Villiers (South Africa), Ravichandran Ashwin (India), Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka)

ICC Women’s Player of the Decade

Ellyse Perry (Australia), Meg Lanning (Australia), Suzie Bates (New Zealand), Stafanie Taylor (West Indies), Mithali Raj (India), Sarah Taylor (England)

ICC Men’s Test Player of the Decade

Virat Kohli (India), Joe Root (England), Kane Williamson (New Zealand), Steve Smith (Australia), Rangana Herath (Sri Lanka), James Anderson (England), Yasir Shah (Pakistan)

ICC Men’s ODI Player of the Decade

Virat Kohli (India), Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka), Mitchell Starc (Australia), Rohit Sharma (India), MS Dhoni (India), Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka), AB de Villiers (South Africa)

ICC Women’s ODI Player of the Decade

Ellyse Perry (Australia), Meg Lanning (Australia), Suzie Bates (New Zealand), Stafanie Taylor (West Indies), Mithali Raj (India), Jhulan Goswami (India)

ICC Men’s T20I Player of the Decade

Rashid Khan (Afghanistan), Virat Kohli (India), Aaron Finch (Australia), Imran Tahir (South Africa), Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka), Rohit Sharma (India), Chris Gayle (West Indies)

ICC Women’s T20I Player of the Decade

Meg Lanning (Australia), Ellyse Perry (Australia), Sophie Devine (New Zealand), Deandra Dottin (West Indies), Anya Shrubsole (England)

ICC Men’s Associate Player of the Decade

Kyle Coetzer (Scotland), Callum Macleod (Scotland), Paras Khadka (Nepal), Asad Vala (Papua New Guinea), Peter Borren (Netherlands), Richie Berrington (Scotland)

ICC Women’s Associate Player of the Decade

Nattakan Chantam (Nepal), Sornnorin Tippoch (Nepal), Chanida Sutthiruang (Nepal), Kathryn Bryce (Scotland), Sarah Bryce (Scotland), Sterre Kalis (Netherlands)

ICC Spirit of Cricket Award of the Decade

Virat Kohli (India), Kane Williamson (New Zealand), Misbah-ul-Haq (Pakistan), Brendon McCullum, Mahela Jayawardene (Sri Lanka), Daniel Vettori (New Zealand), MS Dhoni (India), Katherine Brunt (England), Anya Shrubsole (England)

Award winners will be announced next month and will culminate in a special ICC Awards of the Decade digital show, to be broadcast on the ICC digital channels and will take into account the fans’ votes as well as those by a global panel of journalists and broadcasters.

Read: Stokes named World Player of the Year, Cummins takes test honours

Comments

comments