The International Cricket Council (ICC) is confident the June 16 World Cup match between the arch-rivals India and Pakistan will go ahead despite last week’s attack on Indian forces in disputed Kashmir, chief executive David Richardson has said.
Angry Indian fans and some former cricketers have demanded boycotting the marquee match in England though neither of the cricket boards has publicly expressed any such desire.
“Certainly there are no indications any of the matches, including the Pakistan-India match, will not be played as planned at the World Cup,” ICC chief executive David Richardson told a leading cricket website.
Bitter rivals India and Pakistan are scheduled to clash at Old Trafford in Manchester in what would be one of the most eagerly-anticipated matches at the May 30-July 14 tournament.
India and Pakistan have not hosted a cricket series between their countries since 2013 due to political tensions.
More than 400,000 applications had been made for the 25,000 tickets available for the match, organisers said.
“To put that in perspective, England v Australia was around 230-240,000,” World Cup tournament director Steve Elworthy told. “And the final was around about 260-270,000 applications for tickets.
“So that gives you a bit of perspective for the demand for this match.
“It’s a big game.”