Chairman Pakistan cricket board (PCB) Ehsan Mani expressed disappointment over ICC decision to ban Sarfraz, as he believes that the governing body need not have charged the Pakistani skipper once apologies had been publicly made and accepted.
One of the leading cricket websites on Friday reported PCB chairman’s stance who termed the decision as ‘utter nonsense’.
“So as far as we were concerned, an apology had been tendered and accepted and the only question was whether Sarfraz deserved any punishment.”
“I had already said we should pull Sarfraz out for 2-3 games. I felt very strongly that this has to be a strong message for everyone,” Mani said.
Sarfraz has been suspended for four matches for breaching the ICC’s Anti-Racism Code for Participants for his comments about South African all-rounder Andile Phehlukwayo during the second ODI of the series.
Mani further said that the matter was resolved between the two players and also their boards’ officials respectively following his public apology for his comments.
“We made an apology at all levels and it had been accepted by everyone. We have a good relationship with CSA (Cricket South Africa). For the ICC to jump in because Phehlukwayo was upset and didn’t want a reconciliation process, [and to feel they] have to charge Sarfraz, that’s where I think a bit of nonsense comes into this. What else can you achieve by sitting them in a room? They’re not school children,” he added.
Mani believes this is something that has to be dealt openly and transparently, not under the table.
“Why this bureaucratic process that it didn’t go exactly according to the book in terms of reconciliation with an ICC mediator? We don’t need an ICC mediator. So very seriously, we will push on this because somewhere common sense was overruled by bureaucratic process.”
The incident has also put Sarfraz’s captaincy in danger, according to PCB, the captain remains a series by series appointment but Mani said it was “too soon” to think about that.