Red Bull Racing have dumped Daniil Kvyat from their driver line-up for the rest of the Formula One season and replaced him with teenager Max Verstappen, the team announced Thursday.
The change comes four days after Kvyat crashed into Sebastien Vettel’s Ferrari twice during the Russian Grand Prix. Kvyat will now drop down to Verstappen’s seat in Red Bull’s junior team Toro Rosso.
“Max has proven to be an outstanding young talent,” said team principal Christian Horner in a statement released to media. “His performance at Toro Rosso has been impressive so far and we are pleased to give him the opportunity to drive for Red Bull Racing.”
Verstappen joins Australia’s Daniel Ricciardo in the Red Bull garage for the remaining 17 races of the season, while Russia’s Kvyat returns to Toro Rosso after being promoted to replace Vettel, who won four world championships with Red Bull, in 2015.
“We are in the unique position to have all four drivers across Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso under long-term contracts with Red Bull, so we have the flexibility to move them between the two teams,” said Horner.
“Dany will be able to continue his development at Toro Rosso, in a team that he is familiar with, giving him the chance to regain his form and show his potential.”
Last year Dutchman Verstappen became the youngest driver in the history of Formula One when he made his debut for Toro Rosso at the age of 17.