Sussex announce Bailey coup

0
73
Shukriya Pakistan

Australia batsman George Bailey has signed to play for Sussex in the second half of this season’s domestic T20 Blast competition, the English county announced on Wednesday.

Bailey, 32, will take over from Sri Lanka great Mahela Jayawardene, who will be Sussex’s overseas player for their first seven group fixtures in the tournament.

Bailey, who previously played for Hampshire, has captained Australia in both limited-overs formats and was a member of the squad that triumphed at the World Cup last month.

“I’m delighted that I will be heading to Hove and I am looking forward to testing myself once more in one of the toughest domestic cricket environments,” Bailey said in a press release.

“I have heard excellent things about the set-up at Sussex, and we have a really exciting squad that I believe can mount title challenges in all formats in 2015.”

Sussex’s professional cricket manager Mark Robinson said: “The whole club is really excited at the prospect of George joining us.

“He is obviously a fantastic one-day player and is also a World Cup winner and international captain, which will only add to our dressing room.”

Comments

comments