HARARE: A Zimbabwean newspaper has stated that the cricket team will tour Pakistan according to the schedule, ARYSports.tv reports on Friday.
Zimbabwe cricket authorities on Thursday abandoned a planned tour to Pakistan citing poor security — before retracting their decision within 20 minutes and saying discussions were still ongoing.
Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) released an official statement saying the tour would not go ahead following recent militant violence that has revived fears after a deadly attack on the Sri Lankan team bus in 2009.
But the ZC spokesman Lovemore Banda then issued a rapid apology, saying the abandonment was not confirmed.
Chief Minister of Punjab Shahbaz Sharif had earlier said that strict security measures will be taken for the safety of international teams. He had also said that no stones will be upturned regarding the safety of the visiting teams.
Zimbabwe are due to arrive on May 19 and play two Twenty20 internationals on May 22 and 24 and three one-day internationals on May 26, 29 and 31.
All five matches would be played in the eastern city of Lahore after Zimbabwe refused to play in Karachi.
It should be noted that no test playing nation has toured Pakistan since the attack on Sri Lankan cricket team back in 2009.